Spelling, Reading and Yoga
Using this creativity, we wanted to see how to combine reading and spelling skills with Yoga! Of course, we love reading books and doing the Yoga poses relevant to the story, but we wanted to try something new.
We came across small foam letter stickers that seemed perfect for the activity we had in mind. Why not spell words and names out and then do the Yoga pose for each word and letter? The kids loved the activity!
This activity not only reinforced spelling and reading skills, but also helped calm down the energy level of the group.
Try this simple, fun and useful game for children over 5 years old:
How to play:
- Make a circle with the mats (if using them)
- Spread all the letters in the middle.
- Let the children find the letters of their names or the word they are going to spell.
- Spell the name on the mat.
- Taking turns, each child will do a pose for each letter (or word) and the rest of the group will follow them.
- Sometimes the group can work together to do the pose of a single letter; it is amazing to see how creative they can be!
- Spell names, poses, objects or just have fun inventing words.