Dancing Yoga Moonwalk… On The Wall!
Do you remember Michael Jackson doing the Moonwalk? What does that have to do with Yoga, you might ask! Well, the other day we did the Michael Jackson Moonwalk on the wall while in plow pose, it was great!!!
When you think of Plow pose or Halasana what may come to mind are the many benefits it provides, such as strengthening the back, stimulating the endocrine system, balancing metabolic functions and toning the abdominal area.
Getting into and staying in plow pose for a few minutes can be difficult and a little tedious for some kids. So why not make Plow pose a bit more interesting and fun! One way to do it is passing a ball or soft object from one person to another in plow pose, while lying down in a circle. Another way is the Dancing Yoga Moonwalk…
Here is your MOONWALK YOGA DANCE LESSON:
- Start by sitting with your back against the wall and legs stretched out.
- Prepare your leg muscles by coming into forward bend (paschimottanasana).
- Now move forward, away from the wall, about leg distance from the wall (so you are basically sitting down where your feet were when you were in forward bend).
- Lie down and come into Plow Pose, but instead of touching your feet to the floor, keep your feet up against the wall.
- Begin walking your feet up and down the wall, let the walk slowly turn into the Moonwalk sliding or dragging your feet up and down.
- Accompany the movement with good music and feel the stretch on the back of your legs!
Have fun and relax with this Yoga “dance” movement!